Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Inland Empire

I got completely lost in Mulholland Dr. I did enjoy Straight Story. I was afraid of Elephant Man. I was amazed by Inland Empire.

My friends invited me to see David Lynch's new movie, Inland Empire, in which the reality and imagination loses its boundary. It's absolutely confusing and it's supposed to be so. You see some links between each scene yet it never establishes a linear narrative. It's like a circle that's linked with another circle that's surrounded by another circle that's actually one of the circles within. Everyone would try to re-connect the dots and figure out the story. But at the same time, it might be wise not to try think too much about the narrative. The visuals and actinings are wonderful. Laura Dern is great. In the movie, the portrait of women in Hollywood, or perhaps not limited to Hollywood, seems to be one of the messages/theme.

3 hours is long. Especially since this movie doesn't give you much idea of how far it went. It could continue forever. But after letting myself sank in the story and finishing the task, I found myself refreshingly recalling the scenes and not even annoyed with accumulated halluciantion and intensity of the movie. It's a bit scary—perhaps the digital camera added further creepiness. I was pleased and proud of my capability: Little Miko can enjoy surreal masterpiece!

No comments: