Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Bronx Zoo

The off-season Bronx Zoo is almost deserted. All the shops are closed and most habitants need to stay inside the buildings. But I'd rather take a rainy, cold day than a sunny, warm spring when all kids block the view, screaming and kicking the glass window. First animal I saw was three camels in a tiny field. I later found out that they were for the camel ride. I had to question myself: "Should I protest against zoo by not visiting or is my $14 admission used to feed these poor animals who cannot survive in the wild nature any more?"


This zoo is in the middle of Bronx. People from surrounding apartments can probably see some animals through their window. But here I am, I stop worrying and rather enjoy the day trip. Besides the fact that they have lots of frogs in this zoo, I pretty much enjoyed all other animals. My favorite was this long-nose, b/w, panda+elephant animal. It doesn't move at all. Seemed really sad or completely enlightened.


Across from it was two black panthers, with beautiful pattern on their black fur. The zoo is famous for it's exhibition. Their fake forest was quite well done. It's like a mini amuzement park.



Bronx Zoo
2 or 5 train to East Tremont Ave/West Farms Square. 5 minutes wall from the station. 30 minutes from Grand Central. Open 365 days!

No comments: