Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Jeff Koons

I just took a mini trip to Chicago. Stuck in the glamorous ballroom in Marriott hotel all day for this academic exhibition, I almost missed to experience Chicago. I sneaked out from the conference and gave myself one hour to do something touristy. The closest thing was the Museum of Contemporary Art, where Jeff Koons was featured.

There is a debate over him being called an artist since he creates his artwork without actually producing them but by having other people to make them into a form. Well, maybe a half artist. But I don’t think people are recognizing the excellence or beauty of the production process. How nicely Michael Jackson is molded or painted in gold has so little to do with the piece’s artistic value. I think.


Perhaps, Murakami, who recently captured attention from media and industries, also holds the fame as an artist and a pop culture visionary.

No comments: