Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Russian & Turkish Bathhouse

After a week-long event at work, my body was feeling like 200lb... And I needed a serious massage, for which I would have needed to spend good $200. Plus, I don't like the idea of making an appointment to get a massage. I want to get is when I feel like it. So I tried something new: Turkish & Russian Bathhouse. It has been in business for over 100 years in now the Japanese mecca in Manhattan, East Village. Although the majority of clientele is male and I wouldn't go there alone, there are quite a few female guests and couples.

You walk in and put all your valuables in narrow tin can at the reception. The locker room is very small; obviously not a luxurious spa environment. They have shorts and robe for men; some girls were also wearing them. Towels are provided so are sandals. I changed in my bathing suit and now to the sauna. It's steamy and hot all over. You walk into sauna (different temperature), and when you can't take it, jump into the icy cold pool. This is PAINFULLY cold and cannot stay more than 1 second. When you get out the pool, the whole blood circulation starts to detox. Such a refreshing feeling.

In one of the rooms, Russian guys give Platza (Oak Leaf treatment). Basically, the guy hits your body with bunches of oak leaf. It's a bit rough and done among other guests. Some girls were making moaning noise when the guy lift their legs in like 90 degree, which kind of made me reluctant to try myself... They also have regular massage in a private room.

My body felt cleaner and lighter. It's only $30 and you can stay as long as you'd like.

No comments: