Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Richard Serra Exhibition

I can’t remember the first time I saw his sculpture. Perhaps at the Dia Beacon upstate. But I do remember becoming a huge fun of his work right away. He makes hard, heavy iron material turn into a soft, warm piece. His works, especially the later ones, are huge, environmental work. Viewers feel the piece by walking through his gigantic iron walls. Physics and artist’s skill create this magical feeling of space and gravity. It makes me feel as if I were floating in the space.

What I enjoyed most at the exhibition was his earlier works. Much smaller but same treatment of iron. It’s amazing pieces of iron can look just like leather bands and how he builds heavy pieces stand in balance that are barely touching each other.

The biggest wonder of this show is how they installed such huge pieces inside of each room.

Richard Serra - Richard Serra Sculpture: Forty Years
June 3–September 10, 2007
MoMA

No comments: