Thursday, June 29, 2006

Mac Attacks

Working M-F at an office with a latest Mac didn't compel me to get a computer at home. Actually, I have an Mac G4 desktop at home that I use to watch DVDs and play music. This computer is fine but I don't use it otherwise because the desk it's sitting on is too narrow for me to work.

I see people using their laptops (mostly Macs in arty Williamsburg), enjoying a creative weekend morning at a local cafe, and I always wanted to be one of them. It simply seems productive somehow. As you may have noticed reading this blog, I am nothing of a professional writer. I am a non-creative office worker who likes writing and a bit of graphic design. To fulfill my intellectual, artistic hobby, I needed a laptop. Alas, the use of notepads and pens is ideal but too hard for the computer generation including myself. So the question was when to buy a laptop and which one. I have to admit that I didn't have strong enough passion to spend a couple grand to get a laptop. For me, the occasion was the business trip to Europe–It was also the moment that I realized I am a professional who needs to check emails.

MacPro was, with no doubt, my first preference. However, hearing more reviews about the new MacBook, I spent days of research on both laptops. Questioning myself, "Do you seriously need $3,000 MacBook Pro to fiddle with Photoshop and InDesign?" The answer was, at least at this point, No. But I encouraged myself by buying the black MacBook with bigger memory. I do plan to add more RAM memory which should help using photo-heavy applications for my graphic design projects. FYI: The new MacBook shares the same memory source for text and graphics.

Result: I have started this blog. And I do check my emails at home. I can watch DVD while my boyfriend sleeps in the other room where we have the desktop Mac. Besides the fact I couldn't afford a Pro, the shiny screen and the matte surface that easily gets dirty with finger oil (still I prefer the matte over shiny white), I am pretty, pretty, pretty content.

No comments: